Using the Adobe DNG Converter
This is a very useful tool if you do not own Lightroom. The Adobe DNG Converter is free and is very easy to use. It provides you with all the same options as described above. Heres how to use the Adobe DNG Converter:
- Download the Adobe DNG Converter by clicking on this link – <<Adobe DNG Converter Download>>
- Once downloaded and installed, run the programme;
- You are now presented with the main interface. Work down from the top;
- Decide if you want to change the preferences. These are the same preferences that you find inside Lightroom’s Preferences panel. Normally, the defaults are fine but you may want to add compression if you are archiving your images.
- Click on Convert and make the coffee.
There is a lot of debate about whether or not you should convert Raw files to DNG. I have read a lot of the discussions online and spoken to other photographers and I decided to convert to DNG and take advantage of the benefits the format offers.
If you decide that you want to convert your Raw files to DNG or you want to give it a try with old Raw files first, then I would recommend using Lightroom if you own it. It makes it very easy to find the exact files that you want to convert. If not, the free Adobe DNG converter is also good but it will only convert an entire folder and does not allow you to select individual Raw files.
If you are convinced that DNG is the way forward, try converting to DNG as you import into Lightroom.
Feel free to comment below and let me know your thoughts.